Made from post-industrial Mulberry branches sources as by-product from the silk and water filtration industries, the MSB™ line (“FSC-Recycled”) epitomizes the use of industrial discards. Silk worms eat leaves from the Mulberry tree to produce silk. The branches essentially die, and must be harvested so new branches will grow.
The cut branches are then further divided into the skin (i.e. bark) of the branch, and the inside “meat”. The skin, which was removed, is used for a number of things, but notably for medicinal uses and for use in water filtration applications. The inside of the peeled branch is used in our production. The sourced wood strands are dried, coated with a low-VOC and EO resin, and then are compressed. The MSB, in its natural state, is a light color, similar to maple. The knuckles or knots of the branches tend to show themselves (once compressed) as darker spots. The MSB can be left in its’ natural ‘color’ state or undergo a topical stain application. Either way, the product used has gone through two steps of reclamation prior to its use in the millwork panels.
- “FSC-Recycled” Chain of Custody Certification (made from 100% “by-product” material sourced from the silk and filtration industries – made from waste Mulberry branches)
- Hard and extremely stable (> 2x harder than commonly used Oak, with less than ½ of the movement)
- Life-cycle savings (dents less than softer materials = less maintenance/refinishing = longer lasting)
- Available in prefinished (micro-bevel w/ NO Aluminum Oxide) and unfinished (square-edged) options, with basic matching accessories available
- Solid material which means sanding and refinishing is always possible and doesn’t sacrifice anything to “engineered platform” alternatives in terms of stability
- Moisture content of material when brought in from the factory is suitable for North American market
- Dimensions: SOLID form – 9/16” x 3-7/8” x 72”
- Sq.ft./box: 15.53 sq. ft. per box
- HARDNESS: 2650 psi JANKA avg.
- FINISH: 7 coats of water-based polyurethane (with Aluminum Oxide)
- LEED Pts:
- MR 4 (Recycled Content)
- MR 6 (Rapidly Renewable Material)
- IEQ 4.4 (Low Emitting Material)
- Also achievable with installation:
- IEQ 4.1 (Low Emitting Materials: Adhesives and Sealants)
- IEQ 4.2 (Low Emitting Materials: Paints and Coatings)
- INSTALL (gen.): Nail/Staple, Glue-down, or Float